My Grandma Russell always did an odd thing when went to restaurants of a "finer dining". Usually, and I cannot recall at this moment exactly where, these restaurants would feature a little bit of parsley next to the entree. While conventional approaches to this garnish would be to simply admire its "decor" on the plate, my Grandma would snatch up everyone's parsley, wrap it in a napkin, and place it in her purse. I don't recall totally why. It may have been simply to provide a garnish on her own plate.
Tonight, I returned to my cookbook, America's Most Wanted Recipes, and found myself cutting up that one green garnish my grandma loved to snatch off the table...Parsley. The parsley mattered very little in the grander scheme of things because my past experiences with sauces that involve melting cheese into them has not always been great. I've made a few nacho cheese sauces and sauces for homemade Macaroni and Cheese that were more reminiscent of sawdust gravy than anything remotely I was attempting.
And tonight's cheese ingredients were not in the usual McCulloch family dining budget. Last night, while my wife was perusing the bread at Meijer's, I snuck in a a little bar of Romano cheese. Romano is NOT a cheese that sits next to the American cheese slices that we use for grilled cheese sandwiches. I found the Romano in the "expensive cheese section" near the deli. This little wedge of Romano cost me $6.24. For the McCulloch budget, this is expensive. The alfredo sauce also included Romano, Parmesan, heavy cream (my first time working with "HEAVY" cream), milk, egg yolk, garlic powder.
I didn't double check the amount of cheese to be put in, so instead of putting a 1/2 cup EACH of Parmesan and Romano, I put in a FULL cup EACH. So the kids and Amber got to have a little "cheesier" version of the sauce.
One of the BEST parts of making dinner tonight was getting help from my "little chef" Logan. Usually, Scout is the only one that I can tempt into the kitchen to help me. She LOVE helping me, and surprisingly, she never surfaced the whole time Logan helped me. Logan grated cheese, turned over the grilled chicken. mixed ingredients, used the colander to strain the angel hair noodles, and peeled the potatoes. It was a great time just having him there to help, and he was very, very eager to be my assistant (Of course, he has my dominant personality.) I loved it.
So recipe #6 I'm reporting on was a HUGE success and enjoyed by everyone....Homemade Alfredo Sauce over Angel Hair noodles with breaded chicken...yummmmmm!
2 comments:
OH MY GOSH YOU HAVE A BLOG!! make those chocolate chip coconut bars so I can finally HAVE THE RECIPE and make them...they are the best! lol I'd love to try this recipe mmm you're right about the cheese being expensive but worth it...think of what you'd pay at the restaurant for this! ha
I have a blog you can check out sometime...it's not all recipe-ish though so you might find that part BORING! and girly! lol
http://lovinmyhome.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment