I pretty much stink at keeping up with my little challenges. Nearly a year ago, I became convinced that I could cook and blog about fifty (50) NEW recipes. I've always loved to cook, but my skills were mainly confined to El Ortega Taco kits and short order cook extroardinaire (I cook some mean hamburgers or grilled chicken.)
My love for cooking stems from time with one of the GREAT cooks I knew, my grandma Russell. Well, as with other challenges I did not do so well in keeping up with the challenge. I DID cook a number of new recipes, but I did not keep up with my blog.
Fall 2010, with the hectic nature of my schedule, saw a slump in home cooking. Now that my schedule is slightly slowing down, I'm hoping to be more in the kitchen. Last night I returned with a Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution cook book.
It was an "interesting" experience.
The recipe called for a coating mixed up in my NINJA food processor.... unsalted crackers, garlic cloves, lemon rind, parsley, and butter. The lemon rind was my first challenge because I have never done anything with lemon rind. I actually had to google what this lemon rind thing was all about. Using a potato peeler, I peeled the yellow "rind" part off the lemon.
After processing the coating for the chicken, I had to pummel the chicken breat filets with my "cooking hammer". I was suppose to (and usually) put the chicken into a plastic bag, but wanting to keep moving, I just whacked the heck out of that chicken with bits and pieces flying around the room.
After the chicken was prepped, the "fun" began. The chicken is suppose to take a "voyage" from a plate of flour (being entirely covered) to a bowl of beaten eggs to a plate with the parsley/garlic/crackers mixture.
I NEVER do well with coating chicken. By the time the flour and egg are "coating" the chicken I already have a huge mess on me, the floor, the counter. Then, I'm suppose to COAT THE CHICKEN WITH THIS GREEN, CRACKER, BUTTERY mix?!?!? BUTTERY MIX on top of EGG COVERED RAW CHICKEN?!? Somehow , I managed to somewhat "cake" the green mixture onto the chicken breast.
From there I lobbed, the chicken into a frying pan coated with a few dribbles of olive oil.
I was nervous how all this would taste (and had a battle with cooking without burning the chicken). Surprisingly, the chicken turned out very good....more parsley tasting than garlic but still very good.
When Logan discovered the breading was greenish (from the parsley ), after finishing off a bowl of salad WITH the chicken in it, he was done. Still, Amber and I, and the kids for the most part, enjoyed this new dish.
No comments:
Post a Comment