My lover is mine, and I am his.Song of Solomon 2:16
I believe that this verse from Song of Solomon was the exact verse that was on Amber and my wedding invitations. I hope I'm not falling into the fate of so many men that forget things like...wedding anniversaries and birthdates and the date of the day that you became engaged...and....and....I'm in big trouble.
Today, for a Valentines Day visual prompt in my Creative Writing class, I'm showing one of Rob Bell's Nooma videos, FLAME. It may be a little risky for public high school, but I love the visual Bell gives on different types of love: "raya", "ahava", and "dod". It is sad that LUST has become more important than love. Many of my students, even my ninth graders, are very open about caving into the pressure to have sex before marriage. I love how Bell illustrates that there are different types of love that are vital upon each other in order to have a lasting, solid relationship. Jumpin to the intense level of physical love before establishing friendship and commitment (marriage) creates a relationship that has no foundation.
Pray for my class that God will use this visual lesson to challenge their ideas and views about the fullness and wonderment that we call LOVE.
Have a wonderful Valentine's Day.
1 comment:
I agree that our young people are blinded by the glorified physical realm that dismisses anything that does not reap instant gratification, and ignores any consequential ramifications.
For love has become lust, and lust is for pleasure,
so the more lust involved simply the better,
and if the lust should ever burn out of course,
simply move on, break up, or get a divorce,
there is no longer death do us part,
true love has vanished and it breaks my heart
Post a Comment